Marsh Cup Match Report: VIC v TAS

After winning the toss and sending the hosts into bat, it appeared to be a fruitful decision early, when Victorian opener, Nic Maddinson, was dismissed for 18, after looking dangerous, striking the ball at a rate of 225.

Victorian captain, Pete Handscomb, then joined remaining opener, Sam Harper, at the crease, and the pair found runs seemingly easy to come by, piling on 106 runs in just under 20 overs.  As soon as Harper reached his half-century milestone his luck seemed to run out however, trapped LBW by Nathan Ellis for 51.

Handscomb continued his run of form, but amongst a young Victorian line-up struggled to find a partner to join him in the middle for long enough.  In fact, Matt Short was the only other batsman to reach double figures in the first innings (21 runs off 35 deliveries), before Tom Andrews claimed his scalp as his first of three wickets for the day.

Handscomb led from the front, falling heartbreakingly short of a century on 95, his luck coming to an end thanks to a signature piece of uncanny fielding from Jordan Silk on the boundary rope when he tried to hit Andrews for six.

In the end, the Victorians were all out for 222 in the 47th over, with Andrews the best with the ball for the Tigers, finishing with figures of 3-45 off his 10 overs.

Tigers openers Tim Paine and Caleb Jewell looked comfortable in the middle early in the second innings, until a wayward shot from Jewell saw him depart for seven in just the second over of the innings.

Paine was then joined by Jake Doran at the crease, with the two making the most of the power play and Paine bringing up his 2,500th one-day run for Tasmania in the process; becoming just the fourth Tigers man to achieve this feat.

Despite not going all the way, Paine (36) and Doran (34) both made respectable contributions with the bat, but it was the pairing of Mac Wright and Silk that turned the game in the Tigers’ favour, with both players notching half centuries during the innings. 

Wright was unlucky not to carry his bat, dismissed for 66 off 77 balls in the 42nd over when just seven runs were required for victory.  Silk was the top-scorer for the Tigers however, finishing unbeaten on 69 runs off 74 deliveries, in an innings that included seven boundaries.

In the end, Beau Webster found the boundary to hit the winning runs for the Tigers inside the 45th over.

Tom Andrews was named Player of the Match for his performance with the ball, in just his second one-day match for the Tigers.

The Tigers will now have a day off before their next Marsh One-Day Cup clash with the South Australian Redbacks, which will also be held at the CitiPower Centre.

Major Partners

Other Partners